Sep 20, 2015

Row House Altered Art Project

house 1
 I cut this little row house from matboard and tried to do a full fledged mixed media project, but generally I try to resist the urge to add everything but the kitchen sink to my projects, so I will let you decide if this is really a MM project...  Nevertheless I tried to create a balanced composition and clever design.  My sixth grade graduation was some big day for me and our class rehearsed the song, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow," performing a delightful rendition.   My Grandmother bought me a new dress and shoes to match, which was rare for me, and I was so proud to stand on that state and receive the Presidential Academic Award - signed by George W. Bush!  What a fond memory...
house 2
 I printed out this sweet vintage girl image and lots of little lemons to recreate this wonderful memory.  This was me, curly hair and ragged clothes, but that song made me feel like a million dollars...
house 3
 I printed the text and inked it watered down inks.  I added a piece of costume jewelry from my Grandma's stash and some hand dyed silk ribbon.  I felt like these pretty papers were pattern and "texture" enough so I ended with that.  This is such a special piece to me, even though there was no stamping involved!  :)
I'm linking up to A Vintage Journey for their Home Sweet Home challenge HERE, and to Frilly and Funkie for their Stamps be Gone challenge HERE.  Thanks for popping in!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pretty and the image is darling! How sweet that you recreated such a fond memory and to that added some of your Grandma's jewelry. I sense there is more than one fond memory going on here. Yes, it's MM.

Julia Aston said...

What a wonderful creation to preserve such a special memory for you! A lovely creative design - love that vintage image and your sweet story! Thanks for joining us in the A Vintage Journey Home Sweet Home challenge Autumn! Julia xx

Nancy Dynes said...

Hi Autumn!
I love your gorgeous mixed media AND the wonderful memories that led to it's creation! It is fabulous!! I think 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' is going to be a song worm in my brain for the next few days-lol! I see you live in upstate SC. So do I. We are in Charleston, but visit upstate frequently as our son attends Clemson University. Thanks so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
Hugs,
Nancy

Cec said...

This is such a happy and very vintage piece. Love how you used the jewelry. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec.

Juliz Design Post said...

Such a super little vintage design and I love all the lemons. Thanks for joining in the challenge at A Vintage Journey and good luck.
Julie x

Words and Pictures said...

This is simply charming! Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
Alison xx

Jennie Atkinson said...

This is such a beautiful vintage project and with so many wonderful memories. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey for our Home Sweet Home challenge. And my apologies for such a late comment - so many broadband problems here in Shetland! Jennie x

Popular Posts