Feb 25, 2016

Layer Upon Layer of Mixed Media

page 1

Today I am privileged to be guest designer at Frilly and Funkie for their fabulous new challenge, "Layer It Up!"  We are asked to create a shabby chic or vintage project that includes multiple layers.  Isn't that exactly what we love doing?!  Yes!  I decided to created a layered project with minimal bulk for my altered board game book, tutorial HERE.

page 2

I built my base layers with watercolor paper, some which was dry embossed.  I was very pleased with the result and how the watercolor pooled around the raised areas.  I adhered the papers with matte Mod Podge.  While it was wet I began pooling my watercolor.  I was quite impressed with the way the watercolor mixed with the Mod Podge and formed a glaze of sorts.

page 3

Here you can see how I recycled the perforations from my watercolor pad in the background.  I really loved the pooling in the squares.

page 4

To bring back some contrast, I added a white Tim Holtz Alterations die cut.  I lightly colored it in areas.  I used a fat watercolor brush for all of the color, spritzing with water as needed.  I also added some Perfect Pearls in areas and a microbead/glitter combo.  I loaded my brush with Mod Podge, then dipped into the jar and brushed it onto the page.

page 5

Then I thought it would be fun to stamp this awesome detailed unmounted stamp by IndigoBlu over the layers.  It worked really well!  I did not put the stamp on a block, rather used my fingers to push it into the crevices of my page.  I added some journaling and splashes of watery gesso.  I stamped the image onto a scrap of Prima scrapbook paper and fussy cut the flowers, then mounted like so.  I tucked some string in for texture and highlighted the flower centers with a cut up ball chain.  After seeing my buddy Sara Emily using chain lately I dug through my hardware bin and found one tiny piece of chain.  I used jewelry snips to cut it apart.

page 6

To balance my page, I went back with a wash of super watery gesso in areas for contrast.  It has rained here for days, so excuse the dreary photos.  The color is so much prettier in person, especially with the metallic hints from the Perfect Pearls powder.

Thanks so much Frilly & Funkie for having me!  Do check out the design team and their fabulous creations.  I hope you are inspired to share your project in the Layer it Up! challenge HERE.  Everyone who enters and adheres to the challenge guidelines will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 spending spree at The Funkie Junkie Boutique!  Linda has an amazing array of new items in her awesome shop, so jump right in.

page 7

I'm also entering these great challenges:

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

44 comments:

Jenny Marples said...

What a stunning design Autumn! I love that you've used different media and textures to form your layers on this and YAY! and IndigoBlu stamp! Thank you so much for being our Guest at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Vintagehandmade said...

Oh, Autumn, it's stunning with all those wonderful textures, beautifully arranged elements and fabulous colours! Fantastic layering and awesome design! Simply amazing! Hugs! Branka xxx

coldwaters2 said...

Totally awesome project Autumn the colours are fabulous the detail of your design is ACE I love it
hugs
lorraine x

A Pink said...

COngratulations! Autumn on your GD spot at frilly and Funkie . Your layered project is fabulous . A gorgeous mix of colour , layers, texture and detail . Love it xx

Beulah Bee said...

This is really lovely, the flowers are gorgeous and the black lines contrast so perfectly with the vintage and vanilla tones. Nicely done!

Elizabeth said...

I really love this project, Autumn. Each element works together with the others so perfectly. I am in love with the sprinkle of micro-beads, and the recycled tabs from your paper pad is way cool!

Lee-Anne said...

Yay, Autumn...congrats on your GD spot at Frilly and Funkie! Beautifully designed project...love the texture and gorgeous colors!

Art By Wanda said...

Fabulous page, Autumn!!!

Lisa said...

Oh wow, Autumn, this is absolutely stunning!! Wow, the layers are amazing!! I love the colors and textures!! The details you added are just fabulous!! This is spectacular!! Congratulations on your gd spot!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

ednamburgess said...

Very pretty card. Edna

sarascloset said...

Well, this just takes the layered cake, Autumn! How beautiful you have layered up your papers and added texture that is just yummy! Congratulations on your GDT at Frilly and Funkie; they were smart to scoop you up for this challenge! Thank you for the mention--it made me feel so very special! Hugs!

rachel said...

this is so beautiful Autumn - really gorgeous! Hugs rachel x

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Autumn, I am in love with all your amazing mixed media creations, and I love the layering! So creative, and you have really found your niche! Stunning and so beautiful, sweet friend! Hugs!

sarascloset said...

PS, I forgot to say how much I love your ball chain as a flower center--very clever! But my favorite is your technique to apply your glitter and microbeads; I'm going to give that a whirl! Hugs!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Absolutely stunning, every detail and layer!

kiwimeskreations said...

What a stunning piece of art Autumn - this is beautiful!! Love how you applied the glitter/micro beads :-)
Blessings
Maxine

experiments in paper said...

LOVE THIS!!! Gorgeous colors, textures, great techniques with the watercolors and MP, and the addition of the flowers... Wow!! xxx Lynn

Curls N Twirls said...

Loved this piece of art . What a great Textures and colour .. The layers have come out really well !!
XOXO
Remya

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous layers Autumn, you have created amazing depth and contrast in this piece love it.
Hugs Brenda xxx

Whisper said...

WOW stunning and so much detail too, thanks for joining us at Penny Black & More this month, Luv Sam x

brenda said...

Another beautiful mixed media creation with the Indigo Blue Poppies centre stage Autumn.

Many thanks for joining us at Penny Black and More and Vintage Stamping Challenges.

B x

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful Autumn! Love all the layers and little golden micro beads! They add such a nice touch!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love this...and I love your work. It always shows such thoughtfulness and intent...but playfulness and spontaneity, too. The details here are gorgeous, and I'm glad I popped over from Frilly and Funkie for a closer look. Thanks for sharing this beautiful page with us!

Melissa L. said...

Simply gorgeous, Autumn! Thanks for joining in at HLS MM.

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Beautiful richness to the colour palette with the pop of creamy white of the flower petals and the micro beads bring gorgeous texture.
So beautiful!
Wishes
Lynne

Nancy B said...

So pretty, Autumn! We've been looking at it on AAWA since Susan shared it with us there. Miss seeing your face and will be glad when you are back with us!

Susan (rainy) said...

So many fabulous textures!! This is absolutely gorgeous!

Pamellia said...

Wow Autumn, just gorgeous!! I love all your wonderful mixed media elements here, you are quite the talented artist! Thanks for your efforts in commenting on my blog, that whole event was a nightmare! I put in a request to Google to re-assess my blog because it was obviously a false positive with regards to the phishing. Should be all cleared up now.

hugs :)

Paper Profusion said...

I'm blown away by this Autumn! It is truly wonderful and very beautiful. I'm still exploring all the gorgeous details. As good as mixed media art can get. Have a lovely weekend. Nicola x

craftytrog said...

Absolutely stunning!!! xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Beautiful project, such gorgeous texture and detail. Thanks for sharing it with us at That Craft Place and good luck with the challenge, Angela x DT

Jinny Newlin said...

Congratulations, love! I don't know how you come up with these. They're so packed with detail, I couldn't possibly pick a fave. Such rich depth and dimension and detail, detail, detail... Beautiful take on the challenge!

Craftyfield said...

Gorgeous mixed Media make, love the layers and all those delightful details, including awesome drips and splats! Thank you so much for showing us at Vintage Stamping Challenges, Autumn.

maria f. said...

So much mixed media goodness here. I just LOVE that closeup of the lower left corner.

Grá O'Neill said...

Beautiful project, love all the details & textures :)

Sandra Wright. said...

Totally gorgeous...I love all the layering...
Thank you for joining us for our February Challenge over at Rhedds Creative Spirit...x

http://rheddscreativespirit.blogspot.co.uk/
http://somewheretobeme.blogspot.co.uk/
http://alteredeclectics.blogspot.co.uk/

Sandra Wright. said...

Hi Autumn...I'm back again,this time for Altered Eclectics...
This really is a stunning entry for Altered Eclectics...x

http://alteredeclectics.blogspot.co.uk/
http://rheddscreativespirit.blogspot.co.uk/
http://somewheretobeme.blogspot.co.uk/

Rupa Swaminathan said...

This is such a beauty. Lovely colors, textures and layering!Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month. Good Luck, Rupa(DT).

Deb said...

A gorgeous layered page Autumn, loving the embossed watercolour paper and never would have thought to add the watercolour while the mod podge was still wet, will definitely give that a try! Beautiful flowers and embellishments, thanks so much for sharing it and congratulations on your feature at Frilly and Funkie! Deb xo

Carol said...

I can't find the words to express how fabulous this spread is Autumn. I'm marvelling over the detail, your use of colour and embellishments...exceptional.Totally stunning.C.xx

Petra Swart said...

Congrats on the GD spot, Autumn. And it's so right up your alley with the 'Layer it up', hey!!! And you have done great and created a beautiful page!!! Love the flowers, the thread, the sweet little bird, all the wonderful watercolouring ...everything done perfectly!!! Lovely!!!
Hugz

Linda said...

This is a stunning piece of work. I love all the layers and texture, and the colours look amazing! Thank you for playing along with the HLS Mixed Media challenge. Linda xx

Olenkaja said...

I do not have enough experience in Mixed Media Project, but this is gorgeous! I love all details, this bird is so very interesting integrated into...
Hugs

Carol said...

Beautiful work. Thanks for joining the "Paint" Challenge at HLS last month. Carol DT x

Popular Posts